The Department of Energy and Water Supply and the Department of Natural Resources and Mines have been combined to create the new Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy.

We will continue to update this website while we work on our new website.

Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

Other organisations that assist with dispute resolution

Office of Fair Trading

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) provides information and advice about your rights and responsibilities as a consumer or business operating in Queensland.

Contact the OFT if you have complaints relating to:

  • ethical standards  
  • company behaviour  
  • contractual obligations  
  • standards of work  
  • non-supply  
  • liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) / bottled gas  
  • deceptive and misleading conduct.  

Visit the OFT website or phone 13 QGOV (13 74 68).

Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal

The Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal (QCAT) offers access to Courts or voluntary dispute resolution services provided through the Department of Justice and Attorney-General.

QCAT makes decisions for a number of matters including:

  • debt disputes for amounts up to and including $25,000, e.g. money lent and not repaid  
  • consumer and trader disputes for amounts up to and including $25,000 arising out of a contract for the supply of goods and services  
  • domestic and commercial building disputes.  

Visit the QCAT website or phone 1300 753 228.

Queensland Competition Authority

Large customers who have a dispute with their electricity or gas supplier are not entitled to access the services of the Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland. Large customers may  be able to apply to the Queensland Competition Authority (QCA) to resolve a dispute with their energy supplier.

The QCA has the authority to decide disputes about:

  • whether the terms and conditions of a connection contract or retail contract are fair and reasonable  
  • whether the amount of any capital contribution required by a distribution business is fair and reasonable  
  • the correct application of a distribution entity's capital contributions policy.  

A customer may also apply to the QCA for the review of:

  • a decision by a distributor not to provide connection services to the customer  
  • a decision by a retailer not to provide retail services to the customer  

Visit the Queensland Competition Authority website or phone (07) 3222 0555.

Last updated:
2 February 2017
Was this page useful?