Department of Energy and Water Supply

On-selling electricity

On-selling electricity refers to an arrangement where the owner, occupier or user of premises supplies and sells electricity to premises occupants (the receivers).

From 1 July 2015, the National Retail Law and Rules commenced in Queensland.

The rules set out the exemptions regime for anyone on-selling energy to tenants under the National Electricity Customer Framework (NECF).

  • All on-sellers of electricity will have to apply to the Australian Energy Regulator (AER) as an exempt electricity seller, unless in a deemed class.
  • The national energy retail regulations provide similar protections to small on-supplied customers, as previously provided to small customers (less than 100 megawatt hours electricity consumption per year) through the Electricity Industry Code.

On-sellers who operate their own private network must also gain an exemption from the requirement to be a registered network service provider.

Types of on-sellers may include:

  • shopping centre owners
  • caravan park owners
  • owners of manufactured home parks
  • owners of blocks of flats and
  • bodies corporate associated with blocks of residential or commercial units.

Consumer protections

An onseller under the national rules must abide by the conditions set by the AER under their exemption class, when selling electricity or gas to tenants. The new legislation will provide greater protections for customer's on-supplied electricity, including;

Have your say

Public consultation on a Regulatory Impact Statement (RIS), On-supply customer access to energy rebates and the Energy and Water Ombudsman Queensland (PDF, 443.2KB) has now closed. Further updates will be provided once the department has considered the options.

Disputes with your onseller

A small exempt customer who is unable to resolve a billing dispute with their on-seller, can contact the Residential Tenancies Authority (RTA) or the Body Corporate Management Committee (BCCM) for help.

Contact the RTA on (1300 366 311) if you have previously:

  • lodged a dispute resolution request (Form 16) with the RTA and have an enquiry about your dispute; or
  • sent paperwork to the RTA regarding an alleged offence under the Residential Tenancies and Rooming Accommodation Act 2008, and you have an enquiry about your file.

Contact the BCCM on 1800 060 119 or email: for information on the Body Corporate and Community Management Act 1997 and how this Act applies to you.


The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) regulates the on-supply and selling of electricity in a private network. The AER's Exempt Selling Guidelines sets out the AER's approach to retail exemptions, including a full list of the types of activities which are exempt from the requirement to hold a retailer authorisation.

Persons, who own, operate or control a privately owned network, will need a Network exemption from the requirement to register with the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) as a network service provider.

The National Energy Retail Law 2011 contains provisions in the on-selling of electricity to embedded network customers whilst the Electricity Act 1994 contains provisions for the right of a customer to install their own meter.

The regulator's role includes monitoring and enforcing compliance with obligations in the retail law, rules and regulations.

Find out more

Last updated:
13 September 2016
Was this page useful?