The final report released by the Floods Commission of Inquiry put forward 42 recommendations that fall under the responsibility of the Department of Energy and Water Supply (DEWS).
As of January 2014, 27 of these recommendations have all been completed (with one additional short-term recommendation currently being finalised). These include:
- Reviewing and improving requirements for critical energy infrastructure to be as resilient to major flooding as possible.
- Completing a provisional Queensland Urban Drainage Manual which incorporated insights gained during the 2010/11 floods.
- Resolving a discrepancy between the peak river height recorded at the Brisbane City and Port Office flood gauges.
- Establishing the Ministerial Advisory Council for Flood Mitigation Manuals to assess flood mitigation manuals and provide advice to the Minister prior to their approval.
- Completing guidelines for referable dam owners to submit emergency action plans for approval in accordance with new requirements under the Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2008.
- Establishing new requirements for referable dam owners to have an emergency action plan approved under the Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2008.
- Developing a new process for the conduct of on-site dam safety audits, in addition to the existing desktop dam safety audit program.
- Amending the Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2008 to make the Minister the approver for Flood Mitigation Manuals.
- Improving the monitoring and communications at Splityard Creek Dam.
- Improving the safety conditions for Lenthalls Falls Dam.
- Developing a new prioritisation process for the conduct of on-site dam safety audits, in addition to existing desktop dam safety audit program.
The remaining 14 recommendations are longer-term works which are all underway. These include:
- Investigating future dam management options through dam optimisation studies on Wivenhoe, Somerset and North Pine Dams
- Working with dam owners to develop emergency action plans for referrable dams